Neglect cases are those in which caregivers neglect nursing home residents for various reasons, and unfortunately, it is very common in our country due to staff not being adequately trained or not enough staff to care of all, so the asylum workers themselves must work extra to try to take care of them all, but sadly, they do not have enough time for so much work.
Neglect can take different forms such as: not helping the elderly get up to go to the bathroom, moving around a bit or leaving their room, giving medicines that are not for that person or their illness, not helping them clean up, not giving them eating, among others such as abuse.
Whatever the type of negligence you suffer, this can have serious consequences on the health of those who suffer it, especially those who already have a previous medical condition. The most common consequences are usually:
- Falls or slips that can cause broken bones that may even need surgery or permanently prevent them from moving because they wanted to move without help after the caregiver was not there to help them for long periods of time.
- Pressure ulcers due to lack of movement and spending a lot of time in bed and in one position.
- Illnesses or make their previous illness more serious by giving them the wrong medications or the wrong amounts.
- Poor hygiene due to not being around to help them bathe, brush their teeth, or go to the bathroom.
- Malnutrition or dehydration due to not being attentive to their needs for water or food and leaving them without them for too long.
- Depression or anxiety from feeling alone and isolated, in addition to feeling that their condition only worsens because they are not properly cared for.
In case you suffer from negligent treatment by your caregivers in the retirement home where you or one of your loved ones is located, do not hesitate to contact us, we are here to support our older adults.